Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Um, wow.

So.... today, a third grader in one of my classes was standing around me before class started and grabbed one of my rolls. I like to call them "insulation" rolls, but for the sake of clarity, I'll say fat rolls. Fine.

I hate to say "fat", cuz who wants to publically admit they are fat on their blog... oh, wait...


With her hand in full fat-grabbing mode, she casually and (very) subtlely, I might add, grabbed a chunk of my "insulation".

YES.

And the thing is, I was standing up, so there was nothing explicitly visible!! Sure, if I was sitting down and my rolls were out in full force, I would maybe understand....

Ok, I wouldn't understand, because that's not a normal thing to do... especially to A TEACHER.

Before I had any idea what was going on, I told her "No, don't do that", hoping that for one minute she would miraculously understand English and know to never grab Alicia Teacher's tummy again.

By the way, yes, they do call me Alicia Teaher. Except the kids say Alicia 'Son Sek Nim', which means teacher. And, yes, it is very cute.

A sweet girl from Dallas whose been here for a good while shared with me a funderful expression/acronym that takes experiences like the above to understand.

"O.IN.K"= "Only in Korea"

So, I thought I would share this short, but infinitely strange experience I had today because it directly applies. And like so MANY thing in Korea... It would only happen here.

3 comments:

camille said...

ok seriously,

i have got to remember NOT to read your blog at work. this is the second, or third time that i have been sitting in my office, and laughed so hard that someone came in. it is embarrassing.

that being said, alicia teacher, you are funny.
i cannot wait for more oinks!

Dahnya said...

LOL. I hate using that phrase but it applies in this case, hands down. Did the kid ever explain why they felt the need to hang onto you?

Last year I had a kid call me "fat". Not only did it make me hate him (I don't care if I'm the adult, he was a snot) I hit the gym that very day.

allison. said...

ah yes, insulation.
everyone at work has told me that they gained at LEAST 10 pounds from this job... glad i have that to look forward to.

your blogs make me laugh. glad you have the o.in.ks to share with us!