Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Who'da Thunk....

That's right. I am an teacher of English. An English teacher.

"English-i", is what the kids call it.

Here's the kicker... I don't even teach that much. Most of what I do is have the kids repeat after me when I say something. Ok, sometimes, I teach them a few things.... like, "Yesterday was Wednesday. Today is Thursday."

This kind of "parrot-teaching", as I like to call it, really (and I STRESS really) pissed me off at first. I mean, a drunk hobo can teach kids how to say "Yesterday was Wednesday.", so ex-squeeze me if I was offended that my job description was literally to be a glorified parrot.

(Besides that, you would NOT believe how disorganized the Korean teaching system is.)

But now.... I just can't get over how lucky I am to hang out with kids for most of a day and get them to speak English.

How effing cool is that?

2 comments:

camille said...

you do have a pretty cool job!


you will influence the rest of their lives. you will always be that hot-american-english teacher.

Nathan said...

yes, and unlike here, when you get frustrated and drop the spanish on them, they will never have any idea what you call them.
the sky is the limit!