Thursday, September 27, 2007

Things that I miss....

Top ___ (#) things I miss from home.... (List in progress.)

(Basically, it's Friday afternoon and I'm bored... Also, I might fall asleep if I don't write this.)

1. My parents - Duh! I have to have them as first, or my mom my kick my ass!

2. Hanging out with friends in any setting, but especially the good 'ol gang - Art openings... I miss them so -- especially the fun after!

3. The House on the Corner - Yes, I said it. I never thought I would. But I do. I miss it soooo very much. We had so many incredible/amazing/fun/hilarous/wild/retarded/weird times there... I've spent time there with everyone in my life that I love and cherish, from my love to my sister (who's in Ecuador now) to all my funderful, amazing friends. Yes, that house was a delapidated p.o.s that would probably fall if you breathed too hard, but I miss it. I miss all the fun we had in there. Damn, those were some good times.
I hope Rod remembers that crazy night (Think of: "I went to Cafe Artiste and had a salad, but I couldn't eat it.") and the idea he had-- save the House!! Save it and turn it into something glorious!!!!!!!!

4. Wendy's - Sometimes I can almost taste the crispy chicken sandwich with honey mustard in my mouth....... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Let's not even get into the fries.
(Sidenote: We went to McDonald's the other day and it was actually delish! I would never say that normally, but hey... Give me a break... I can only eat so much pork fat and kimchi.)

5. CVS/Walgreen's/Places where I can get random things at any hour of the night - Obvious reasons. Also, the fact that they are SOOOOOOOOO convenient. I miss them dearly.

6. Actual Mexican food, especially my mom's - Being Mexican and also being from a city with 5 trillion Mexican restaurants, I kind of need it to survive.
The only "Mexican" restaurant here is a disgrace... But, not bad for Koreans. It so happens to be called "El Paso", which is hilarious. And would also make my mom shudder.

7. The 'Trose - Ohhh! It was my home away from home in Houston. Besides all the hipsters, it's a great place and I miss it a lot.

8. Having water available where I live/work - Shame on me. Shame on me for NOT taking advantage of this when I had a chance back home.
Can you believe they don't have water fountains at any of my 4 schools?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Yeah, I can't either.
Besides dealing with constant dehydration, I am always f-ing thirsty.

9. Liqour/Spec's - The only affordable liqour here is 'soju', which tastes like watered-down vodka, and is actually made by mixing pure ethanol alcohol with water. It sucks. Liqour is expensive, especially in bars.... At most bars a bottle of tequila is about $100.

10. Greensheets - If you know me, you know what this is. Enough said.

11. My car - Didn't think I would need a car here, but turns out I do. Ha-f*#ing-ha.

12. Space - In every sense of the word. There's little to spare here.

13. Gay men/South Beach - I know this seems like a strange one, but I do miss the dancing and the fabulousness.

14. Comfortable beds - Koreans traditionally sleep on the floor, so their mattresses, of course, follow this.

15. Variety of food - I already mentioned that I miss the Mexican food, but there really is no other kind of food here... Ok, there is an Indian restaurant called 'Baghdad', but that's it. Ok, there's sushi, too... And Baskin Robbins.... And Dunkin Donuts (barf). I mean different kinds of ethnic food: Greek, Middle Eastern, ITALIAN(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), good pizza... etc.

16. Easy living - Duh.

4 comments:

Leila! said...

I really like lists.
Especially lists like this.
You help me to appreciate the little things. Before you know it, you'll be back in the U.S. and you'll be missing things about South Korea :)

Nathan said...

Dunkin' Donuts is excellent and beautiful and you bite your tongue.

(p.s. i also miss mexican food - and you guys)

allison. said...

i love that the indian restaurant is called baghdad and the mexican restaurant is called el paso.

those koreans sure are creative!

camille said...

if i did not think that it would be confiscated before it even got out of the country, i would send you some mexican food. you know, our taco bell is right down the street. :) jk. i would send you something from chuy's. let's go when you come back! deal?