Tuesday, September 4, 2007

And now... Jeju Island!!!

Getting to Jeju was not fun.... And have been here for 6 days, getting used to every day living has been hard.... I'm not sure what I expected it to be like.... I knew it would be hard, but I wasn't prepared for the feelings of isolation, even though my BF is here and we live in building with tons of other "foreigners" close to the heart of Jeju-Si = Jeju City.
So, BF and I live in a one room "studio" apartment on the 9th floor of a decent building... I've been told we live in the Ido Idong area... Koreans don't have/use names for theirs streets or neighborhoods at all really... Don't get it.
BF and I have never lived together, so it's a bit hard, but frankly going better than I thought it would.... BF's been so good so far.... And it better stay that way! Hahaha! J/k... Rowling! (That was for Gina!)
We've meet some cool westerners (the Koreans call us foreigners) so far... Everyone's been great and very nice.
So, I have 4 schools I teach at... Yeah. BF has 1.... Let's not go there. Actually, it's not bad because I go to 3 a week: one week I have School A- 2 days, School B- 2 days and School C- on Tuesday; next week I have School A- 2 days, School B- 2 days and School D- on Tuesday.... And each day I teach 3-4, 40 minutes classes... Make sense?
And by teach I mean I stand with the Korean teacher, follow the curriculum and the kids repeat what I say.... I like to say I'm a glorified parrot... But that sounds so bad. The way the education system in SK is set up to teach English is more focused on listening and memorizing, not comprehension.... So, really, there's no way I can change the job that they ask me to do... And honestly, I don't think they know any better. All I can do is what is asked of me and do my best at it.... I'm still trying to get over/let go of the concept that I will help the kids here actually learn English.... Still I think my job ain't half bad.... Whoa! "Ain't"!! Me english-i teech-i!!
Monday School A was pretty nice... that is where my main co-teacher works.... She is very sweet, generous and nice. She is also the teacher that speaks the best English that I work with... I work with about 6-7 teachers.
Yesterday I was at School C... Very far from my house, in the rural part of the island... The school was so tiny, only 13 students total, ranging frm grades 1-6! WOW!! At first I was like, um, yeah... I don't like this... But the kids were SOOOOO incredibly awesome and hungry to learn!
Today is my third day working.. and I'm at School B.... so far just intros and questions from the kids were cool! There so cute! They're a bit rowdy and nosy, but I guess that's natural for any country, eh? (Been hanging around too many Canadians.)
The thing that is constant here at all the schools is the enthusiasm to learn English and the fact that (mostly) everyone is truly grateful that we (westerners) are here.... That's pretty cool. Pretty cool, indeed.

7 comments:

camille said...

it is so surreal to hear you talking about your new job!

i am so happy for the blog...keep 'em coming. just know that i am living vicariously through you.

grad school is lame.

allison. said...

i love the side comments in your writing... it's like i can hear you talking.

and that's crazy that you teach at so many different schools!

Nathan said...

4 schools? Christ. That's a lot of Chinamen.

lovingly and without an ounce of hatred,
Nathan

gina said...

lee-lee:

make sure you teach the kids about j/k rowling. its important stuff. i love you

Alfie said...

The surface area of the Earth is about 196,950,711 square miles. About two-thirds of this is covered by oceans. About 1/3 of the Eearth's land area is desert.

Leila! said...

you're awesome.

Kyle said...

Nice blog... we'll all just wait until you decide to update it again in a month or so.